Sweetwater Forum

Sweetwater Forum

• 28. März 2024 - 12:08:14
  • Willkommen Gast
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Autor Thema: 28mm Aliens vs Predator (+Colonial Marines)  (Gelesen 38741 mal)

Sgt. Scream

• Fischersmann
28mm Aliens vs Predator (+Colonial Marines)
« am: 01. September 2012 - 17:52:47 »

Sorry Leute, ich habe einfach nicht die Zeit zweisprachig zu posten (daher mein copy+paste aus den englischen Foren), bitte seht es mir nach.  :thumbup:  Ich beantworte trotzdem natürlich gerne alle Fragen in deutsch.

Let me begin this project-log with saying thanks to the following LAF members for moments of great inspiration:
*Arcturus (Alien stuff)
*Braz (Hadley\'s Hope)
*Westphalia Chris (some Aliens stuff)
*Commander Vyper (Xenomorph project)
*Uti Long Smile (Painted Aliens Project)
*Michka (Marines, terrain etc.)
*Manatic (especially for his \"Dawn Of the Lead\" blog)

Reviresco\'s 25mm Sci-Fi Power Loader with Pilot. This is my heavily modified version to suit 28mm \"heroic\" miniatures sizewise. I used parts from a Mechwarrior Dark Age Construction Mech to add larger legs and hydraulics.

The back of the power loader. I pinned the MW:DA Construction Mech\'s feet into the pewter legs of the Reviresco miniature. The greenish base is one of Fenris Games\' excellent 65mm diameter \"Sulaco\" series.

Front shot, without roll cage installed (see in front of the loader). The pilot \"Not-Ripley\" is stuck down on a base for easier handling during painting.

The side shot reveals how I added hydraulic hoses made from bristles of a broom (no kidding). See the background pic of Reviresco\'s power loader and how it normally would look like. Too small for my needs, hence the mods.

So here it is: I do have to admit it took way too long until it began to take shape. I finally gave up trying to resist and started my 28mm Aliens VS Predator project. A dream of mine that started many moons ago while playing AVP on an Atari Jaguar 64bit console (who remembers this one?).

Its been on my mind for a long time now and I started collecting various stuff for this cause over the last couple of years. I will probably create a completely new game, based upon my own ideas and lots of ideas \"borrowed\" from other games that I have played in the last two decades. The game I want to create is supposed to be played with a minimum of two, but preferable with three or even more players. One will command all Aliens and play the game-master, while the others will either control Colonial Marine squads or Predator Hunting Packs. The goals to be achieved are depending on what faction you choose and can be done with support from the other players or alone, trying even to stop the co-gamers to reach their mission objectives. But more of those ideas at a later time...

Let\'s have a look at the stuff I posted pics of above. What you see here is a 25mm Sci-Fi \"Power Loader\" pewter miniature from Reviresco, made in the US. Its true to 25mm size as its way too small for 28mm miniatures. Its a nice kit and was only US $8.00 (!!!) excluding shipping. I was a bit sad when it arrived, seeing it won\'t fit my other stuff for my game size-wise.
When on ebay a Leading Edge Power Loader was sold for insane 78€ I was grabbed by my burning ambition: I won\'t burn cash that high for a Power Loader! Oh no - I can make a working power loader fitting my 28mm stuff on my own, all it needs is some thinking, kit-bashing and imagination! See my results above.

I re-named it P-3500 Power Loader as its not as big as the P-5000 was in Aliens. Imagine the P-3500 as a smaller cousin of the larger model.

The base is from Fenris Games. They sell a series of round bases called \"Sulaco\" (*hint*) that obviously is inspired by the floors to be seen in Aliens. The one above has a diameter of 65mm.

Alright, I\'ll be back with more later. Keep commenting, guys.
« Letzte Änderung: 01. Januar 1970 - 01:00:00 von 1377383843 »

Sgt. Scream

• Fischersmann
« Antwort #1 am: 02. September 2012 - 11:05:40 »

Some WIP shots from last night. Base colours are done, next step will be dirt, weathering, markings, decals and the pilot obviously. Please note that the roll bar is NOT attached in its final position. Its only loosly placed for the pics. The Fenris base also isn\'t complete yet.

Sgt. Scream

• Fischersmann
« Antwort #2 am: 03. September 2012 - 00:58:31 »

The finished Power Loader with its \"not Ripley\" pilot in place.

The name of the model on the base for my forth-coming AVP rules. All items and models will have names attached based upon the Alien & Predator background universe.

I have added some of my Battletech decals for warning labels. Paint chipping was done using the sponge technique and boltgun metal.

Some hazard stripes have been painted to the loader\'s \"fork\" claws. Heavily chipped go give them a worn and used look.

Although not as cool as the movies\' P-5000, I am rather pleased how my conversion has turned out. Now my \"not Ripley\" is ready to tackle some Xenomorph mommy. \"Leave her alone, bitch!\"

Ok, this evening\'s painting session was interupted by watching \"Expendables 2\", so you had to wait a little longer. I finished the P-3500 Work Loader to include the pilot figure and put it all together. Paint chipping, drybrushing, adding decals etc. all has been done now.
I know its not a perfect match of the movie\'s famous Power Loader, but for an US $8 model with minor cosmetical conversions it turned out really well I\'d say.

I drybrushed and highlighted the miniature with adding some white to my base colour and made one more pin-wash with Devlin Mud. I then picked up a piece of an old sponge (from a blister pack made by GW) and used it to dab on spots of chipped paint using boltgun metal.

Last step was adding some decals (from my Battletech stuff) to give the Power Loader an industrial look. Hazard stripes on the \"fork\" claws add further detail.

Let me know what you think!

PS: the forward leaning pose is intentional - it has something to do with the Power Loader being in base-to-base contact with another particularly huge model and a famous scene from Aliens, taking place in a docking bay ;-)

Sgt. Scream

• Fischersmann
« Antwort #3 am: 09. September 2012 - 22:50:46 »

US Colonial Marines Squad 1 (Woodbine Miniatures)

From left to right: Pfc. Hudson, Cpl. Dietrich, Pvt. Drake, Pvt. Frost

Pvt. Drake wielding a M56 \"Smartgun\", Pvt. Frost with M41 \"Pulse Rifle\".

Drake\'s Smartgun has been modified with scratchbuilt parts, bases are from Fenris Games.

Pfc. Hudson with Motion Tracker and M41 \"Pulse Rifle\", Cpl. Dietrich with M240 Flamethrower.

Pfc. Hudson is one of the platoon\'s Electronic Techs, Cpl. Dietrich applies her skills as a Medic.

I know the question will come up: comparison shot with my Power Loader.

So here goes: my first Colonial Marines for AVP. Using bases from Fenris Games excellent \"Sulaco\" series (25mm) and the beautiful collection of Woodbine\'s military Sci-Fi miniatures in 28mm for a pleasing result.

The Colonial Marines\' platoons are broken down into two sections of two squads each, lead by a Lieutenant. The sections are lead by Sergeants, while the squads are under command of a Corporal.

The squad displayed might not stay like that, but its already consisting out of all the necessary miniatures - a leader (Dietrich), a Smartgunner (Drake) and two grunts (Frost and Hudson). Squads can be split once again into fire teams of two Marines each.

My complete first section (under GySgt. Apone) will be based upon the characters of \"Aliens\". Section two will consist out of all characters from the AVP trading card game from the 90\'s. This will give me enough Marines, to have two players controlling the USCMC for my forthcoming game.

Woodbine doesn\'t do \"official\" US Colonial Marines. The Pulse Rifles and Smartgun clearly are inspired by the movie but have been altered, probably due to copyright concerns. Their entire range (I will soon have all available ones) has all miniatures to display the whole movie\'s characters - to include the supporting individuals, like the Dropship\'s flight crew, Ripley, Burke etc. They are a little cartoony, but to me are probably the best \"true\" 28mm USCMC on the market.

Lesson learned so far: I just can\'t paint faces. Lots of practise should go into that topic   :crying_1:
Let me know what you think - especially about the camo!

Dareios

• Bürger
« Antwort #4 am: 10. September 2012 - 04:14:37 »

Hi,

also die Conversion ist super geworden. Die Camo-Bemalung ist ebenfalls sehr überzeugend. Basegestaltung gefällt mir sehr gut. Rost, Abnutzung etc. alles da.

Beim Arbeitsroboter würde ich alle schwarzen Linien nochmals nacharbeiten mit brauner oder schwarzer Tusche oder Wash. Die unterschiedlichen Teile des Exoskelletts stechen noch nicht wirklich als seperate Einheiten hervor und würden durch so eine Abgrenzung noch besser wirken.

Du hast einiges aus den Minis rausgeholt, aber ich muss leider sagen, dass mir die Gesichter der Miniaturen nicht wirklich gefallen. Die sehen teilweise aus wie Zombies. Das mag auch die Hautfarbe machen, aber vor allem die Gesichter, welche her nach 15mm ausschauen. Schau doch mal in Richtung Sedition Wars und gönne dir das Brettspiel. die Minsi sind superb und da sind sicher auch ein paar Marines dabei, für dein Alien Projekt. Die haben doch sogar ne richtig coole Ripley mit Kind auf dem Arm.

Das wäre ein weiterer Kritikpunkt: Die Ripley Mini find ich auch nicht gerade ansprechend. der Kopf ist viel zu gross und sie hat keinerlei Ausdruck...sieht aus wie ne steife Actionfigur.

Ich hoffe, das ich hier nicht zu hart war, aber im Endeffekt gefallen mir nur die Scuplts nicht wirklich. Die bemalung ist sehr gut und das Alien Feeling kommt gut rüber, ich habe nur das Gefühl, dass du deine Malkünste an weniger schönen Minis verschwendest und selbst der beste Paintjob kann eine hässliche Mini nicht gänzlich in einen Schwan verwandeln. Die Minsi würden für 15mm noch gehen, da in diesem Massstab die leicht übertriebenen Proportionen vorherrschend sind, aber ich denke in 28mm gibt es bessers.

Ich freue mich natürlich trotzdem über weitre Bilder, da ich finde du fängst die Atmosphäre der Filme gut ein mit Bemalung, Conversions und Basegestaltung.

Sgt. Scream

• Fischersmann
« Antwort #5 am: 13. Januar 2013 - 22:47:15 »

The complete first section, with squads #1 and #2 (Woodbine Miniatures).

US Colonial Marines Squad 2 (Woodbine Miniatures)

From left to right: Pvt. Wierzbowski, Cpl. Hicks, Pfc. Vasquez, Pvt. Crowe

Pvt. Wierzbowski wielding a M240 Flamethrower, Cpl. Hicks with M37 Shotgun

Bases are from Fenris Games\' Sulaco series, Cpl. Hicks also has a M41 \"Pulse Rifle\" strapped to his back.

Pfc. Vasquez wielding a M56 \"Smartgun\", Pvt. Crowe armed with a M41 \"Pulse Rifle\"

Vasquez\' gun has been slightly modified, just like the counterpart of Pvt. Drake

Section 1, led into combat by GySgt. Apone.

GySgt. Apone armed with VP-70 pistol, M240 Flamethrower and equipped with IR Binocculars

M41 \"Pulse Rifle\" on Apone\'s back, making him the best-armed Marine of the section   :D  

AVP project: humans painted so far (January 2013)

So here we are, finally in the year 2013. Projects don\'t get completed as fast as I was hoping for. Serious illness of a family member prevents me from painting most of the stuff that sits on my table currently. Small progress was made over the weekend, as I finally was able to get at least section #1 of my Colonial Marines completed. Next addition will be the supporting characters like Gorman, Ripley, the Dropship crew etc.
Once again I am not completely satisfied - I just can\'t make it happen - faces on my miniatures still look horribly. 20+ years in the hobby and I still can\'t paint them to a comfortable standard   :(  
Maybe that\'s why I do prefer 28mm figures to have fully enclosed helmets?!   :thumbsup:

The long painting war continues...

Sgt. Scream

• Fischersmann
« Antwort #6 am: 15. Januar 2013 - 23:12:51 »

Leading officer of my Colonial Marine forces: 2nd Lt. Gorman (Woodbine Miniatures)

Not really expecting to be out in the fight, Gorman still got injured early in the mission

Standard issue khaki coloured uniform and only a VP-70 pistol - Gorman didn\'t expect to be in a fight (no, really!)

Not much to show at all but I managed to get Gorman painted. He\'s another piece of the Woodbine Miniatures Character Set. Depicted is Gorman later during the campaign, after he injured his head, when the remaining Marines were fleeing the planetary processing unit in an APC.

I went with a really simple scheme, showing the Marine standard issue one-colour field dress (khaki). I was however trying to add as many of the patches that are seen in the movie as possible. So, Gorman sports both USCM badges (shoulder and chest pocket) and an US flag. The green stripes on the chest are supposed to resemble his name tags and service branch (Marines).

Gorman is un-armed apart from a VP-70 pistol.

Stay tuned for more AVP items in the next couple of weeks.

Sgt. Scream

• Fischersmann
« Antwort #7 am: 17. Januar 2013 - 22:36:22 »

Update: Alien Warriors and Royal Guards

\"They grow into killers in a matter of days\" - Alien Warrior drone

Alien Warrior (rebased WizKids Horrorclix figures)

Since there is different types of Xenomorphs the bases are marked (\"Warrior\")

\"They protect the Queen with their lives\" - Alien Royal Guard

Three Royal Guards. These are even more dangerous than regular Warrior drones

First batch of Alien Xenomorphs ready for gaming

...there is way more where these are coming from :-)

As the core of my Colonial Marines is finished it was about time to add some stuff to the opposition. In this case it is going to be Aliens of two types to start my \"hive\": Warrior and Royal Guard drones. I am aware that the Pretorians (as the Guards are also known as) would normally look different, but there is no miniatures available for them and I wanted to have some variation in my forces.
So the climbing Alien figures are all going to be Royal Guards while the other miniatures are going to be either Warriors for the most part.
Royal Guards are rare and chances for them to appear will be low in our games, but naturally they will be encountered en masse if you are coming to close to a breeding chamber of a Queen.
The regular Warrior drones are what is going to be the main enemy encountered by Predators and Humans alike. I have a huge pile of these figures and there will be plenty of these - some 40 or so.

Bases are once again from Fenris Games, the Alien saliva is made out of glue. Just put a few drops down into an old lid of a bottle and wait a few minutes for the glue to start to bond. Then use a toothpick and start to pull drips of glue out of it - the glue starts to leave thin strings - and add it to the jaws of the Aliens. Done!

MacGuffin

• Bürger
« Antwort #8 am: 18. Januar 2013 - 23:51:19 »

Wow, die Aliens sind klasse geworden.
Bei der Marine-Truppe reißens auch meiner Meinung nach die Figuren rein, während die Bemalung selbst gut ist.
(Ich tendiere da wohl eher zu Hasslefree, aber nicht allem, was ne Pulse Rifle hat, sondern nur bestimmte Figuren. Dazu hab ich schon ein paar Eigenbauten aus den Pulse Rifles, die es bei HF direkt gibt, und Warlord Plastik-Commandos mit AT-43-Köpfen gemacht, als generische Weyland-Truppe.)

Aber bei den Aliens kommt richtig Stimmung auf - vor allem der Sabber ist großartig!
Nur kriegt man die Figuren heut noch irgendwo? Predator hab ich über Battlefield Berlin nen echt hübschen gekriegt, aber die Aliens, die Aliens... die Hauptattraktion fehlt mir nach wie vor!
Boredom\'s not a burden anyone should bear.
- Tool

Tabletop Club Rhein Main e.V.

-Zuvor bekannt unter dem Nutzernamen Oberst Manuell.-

Sgt. Scream

• Fischersmann
« Antwort #9 am: 21. Januar 2013 - 09:34:00 »

Zitat von: \'Oberst Manuell\',\'index.php?page=Thread&postID=128664#post128664
Wow, die Aliens sind klasse geworden.
Bei der Marine-Truppe reißens auch meiner Meinung nach die Figuren rein, während die Bemalung selbst gut ist.
(Ich tendiere da wohl eher zu Hasslefree, aber nicht allem, was ne Pulse Rifle hat, sondern nur bestimmte Figuren. Dazu hab ich schon ein paar Eigenbauten aus den Pulse Rifles, die es bei HF direkt gibt, und Warlord Plastik-Commandos mit AT-43-Köpfen gemacht, als generische Weyland-Truppe.)

Aber bei den Aliens kommt richtig Stimmung auf - vor allem der Sabber ist großartig!
Nur kriegt man die Figuren heut noch irgendwo? Predator hab ich über Battlefield Berlin nen echt hübschen gekriegt, aber die Aliens, die Aliens... die Hauptattraktion fehlt mir nach wie vor!

Naja, die Figuren werden immer wieder zerpflückt für ihre comic-artigen Gesichter, bzw. ihren Holzpuppencharakter. Mir persönlich gefallen sie sehr gut, nur kann ich einfach keine Gesichter malen. *seufz*
Von Hasslefree hab ich meine Newt und die beiden Smartgunner für die zweite Section.

Aliens kriegst du nur noch für völlig überteuerte Preise. Entweder bis zu 15 Dollar für eine Figur (!!!) oder aber bis zu 200 Dollar für 7 wenn sie noch in der Box sind. Die sind seit Jahren nicht mehr neu erhältlich. Was es gibt, sind z.b. Köpfe im Giger Design um Tyranniden umzubauen.

Ten done so far. Only 30 to go.

Another bunch of teeth, flailing tailspears and razor-sharp claws.

Standard Xenomorph Warrior drones. There will be a lot more of them.

Sgt. Scream

• Fischersmann
« Antwort #10 am: 24. Januar 2013 - 22:32:21 »

Supporting Characters: Drop Ship Crew with (from left to right) W/O Pfc. Spunkmeyer, Pilot Cpl. Ferro and Synthetic (Android) \"Bishop\"

Both also being trained riflemen, Ferro and Spunkmeyer carry M41 \"Pulse Rifles\". Cpl. Ferro also has a VP-70 pistol for back-up. Since they are the designated crew of the Marine\'s dropship they do not wear M3 Body Armor. Bishop solely being a scientist and medic is prohibited to bear any small arms or rifles all together.

All three are Woodbine Miniatures. Bases from Fenris Games\' Sulaco series. Note that Spunkmeyer had a head swap with a figure out of Gripping Beast\'s 28mm  Mo-Fo 1.9: 1990s US Downed Helicopter Crew

Both flight crew members have USCM badges on their sleeves.

On the left arm: US flag and rank insignia (Corporal in case of Ferro, with Spunkmeyer\'s being invisible due to rolled up sleeves)

Next batch of US Colonial Marines figures finished. With the dropship\'s pilot Ferro and her weapon systems officer Spunkmeyer I now have all Marines painted for first platoon as it was seen in ALIENS. The Synthetic \"Bishop\" makes it complete.
The figures were put onto Sulaco series bases from Fenris Games. I used the miniatures as they were, but didn\'t like the head of the figure that was supposed to be Spunkmeyer. Its hair were way to long for what was an almost clean shaven soldier in the movie.
I used another 28mm figure\'s pilot helmet wearing head and replaced the hippie-like looking one.  Since the green jumpsuits of the flight crew alone would have been a little boring, I tried once again to add all the colourful badges of the USCM to their uniform.
Bishop\'s clothes in the movie were a blue to greyish looking like overall, so there wasn\'t much colour to paint on the miniature apart from a clipboard with some notes that he holds in his hands.

Next will be some civilians, especially those that I need to make the movie setting work and also some sentry guns. Bear with me, there is more to come.

Mandulis

• Bürger
« Antwort #11 am: 24. Januar 2013 - 23:08:30 »

The aliens are 100% awesome. I love the drool and the shiny skin. The overall atmosphere of your project is well done and close to the \"Alien\" movie stuff. But I also agree with Dareios about some more contrast on the walker and on the faces. I am not sure if a face painting tutorial I used might help you or if it is just the sculpt. The main problem seems to me that you faces have no highlights, they seem rather flat. That can be solved with painting though.

Keep up the good work!
schneller Reichtum , Guter Sex

Kommt zu den Dice Knights oder [url=http://www.sweetwater-forum.de/index.ph

hallostephan

• Gast
« Antwort #12 am: 25. Januar 2013 - 09:58:32 »

nice!

Sgt. Scream

• Fischersmann
« Antwort #13 am: 26. Januar 2013 - 19:42:06 »

Free Hugs !!!

Pendraken\'s Facehugger (normally a monster for 10mm Sci-Fi) suit 28mm well as the classic Facehugger like they were seen in the Alien movies.

Today I\'ve been mostly sculpting with Green Stuff. Since the Pendraken Huggers are coming on a small base that is almost impossible to be removed without damaging the miniature, I had to do something to make them look right on a 25mm base. I decided to create the Alien Hive structure that was seen in Aliens with green stuff and wrap it around the Facehugger. Some bits cut from Warhammer Fantasy Skeleton Steeds create the skeletal structure that was seen in the movie. It looks a bit rough in the pics above, but since the putty hasn\'t completely dried, I could not cut the plastic bits into exact pieces matching the bases yet. This will be done before I paint them.

Burke, Ripley, 1Lt. Campbell and some shooty bits for the humans are next on the list.

Sgt. Scream

• Fischersmann
« Antwort #14 am: 27. Januar 2013 - 23:23:00 »

Ten Facehuggers, made by Pendraken, placed upon hive-like bases that I sculpted myself.

The Alien hive floor was painted in three stages of blue and grey tones, although its not quite noticeable in the pics.

Hive floor: GW Shadow Grey, Revell Grey matt 57, Army Painter Dark Tone Wash, GW Fortress Grey.

The Huggers themselves were painted with GW Dwarf Flesh, highlighted with GW Elf Flesh and received a pin wash with Army Painter Soft Tone.

The Facehugger bases have been finished. Although the pics make you think they are only drybrushed in grey that is not what I have done. What the pictures can\'t really show is that there actually is a blend of three colours that went into the \"resin\" of the hive floor - see the last pic above for detail.
I am really pleased with the way the Facehuggers emerge from the darker ground. I especially like the tone they turned into after I applied the Army Painter Soft Tone wash. Let me know what you think.

Stay tuned!