Sweetwater Forum

Sweetwater Forum

• 28. MĂ€rz 2024 - 22:07:11
  • Willkommen Gast
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Autor Thema: Dystopean Wars  (Gelesen 23809 mal)

0 Mitglieder und 2 GĂ€ste betrachten dieses Thema.

AndréM

• BĂŒrger
  • BeitrĂ€ge: 1.785
Dystopean Wars
« Antwort #210 am: 05. April 2013 - 13:23:14 »

Designer’s Insight: Mar 13

Kingdom of Britannia Steward Class Guardian Tank

I gave the Steward a third track as I wanted this mobile command hub to feel like nothing could stand in its way on the battlefield. I envisioned the interior of the tank to have as many engineers and crew as soldiers and fighting units. Men shovelling coal into boilers atop gantries and walkways as troops run around readying for battle, all cramped and tripping over each other as they went about their duty’s just to accommodate a third track running through the centre of the tank’s hull! The small command drop on shadows the beautiful St Paul’s Cathedral drop on that belongs to the Sovereign Land Ship and provides a familiar aesthetic to the other British units.

Kingdom of Britannia Steward Class Guardian Tank

Kingdom of Britannia Foxhound Class Light Tank

The Foxhound has all the bespoke beauty of a WWI tank (a running theme through all the British armoured units), complete with ‘wagon wheels’ at the rear to accommodate the weight of the main gun at its ‘heavy end.’ The idea behind the rack of shells was to promote a relentless bombardment feel; a plunger pushes each shell along the rack forcing the next into the chamber. Of course the exposed shells would be at risk of damage or sabotage, but It looked too cool to pass up on.

Kingdom of Britannia Foxhound Class Light Tank

Prussian Empire HM-1 ‘Recke’ Class Heavy Tank

The Prussian Empire armoured forces were some of the earliest land based models made for Dystopian Wars and remain some of my favourites. It’s hard to say why; I think the slab-sided nature and merging draft angles that pay homage to Germany’s first forays into mechanised warfare makes them enticing from a design standpoint. On the surface it’s a very boxy aesthetic, but when you get down to it the obtuse angles perfectly complement the obtuse mindset of the Prussian Military doctrine. Looking back to the early models it was only the grand Sturmpanzer that utilised the idea of merged multiple hulls to give it a dominating presence ahead of the other tanks, so I felt giving the biggest and meanest medium class tank the same dreadful persona and multiple hulls was the next step. I also added a vast array of tracks at its base to chew up the ground it passes. The great ramp at the front and the German style roofing help convey the idea that this vehicle is filled with personnel, even more so than many of the Prussian vessels already on the tabletop.

Prussian Empire HM-1 ‘Recke’ Class Heavy Tank

Empire of the Blazing Sun Myobu Class Light Gyro Tank

We have amphibious tanks in Dystopian Wars, we have great walking contraptions that can stomp over land and sea, we have ships that ply the skies, we have subterranean and submersible monstrosities than bring the war to every level of the battlefield and even a hovering squid to boot! The Myobu Light Gyro Tank may just be the first tank that can fly, or at least hop.

Conveying the strange nature of such a vehicle was a challenge as the Blazing Sun forces, and many of the other Dystopian Wars Nations, have very different styles between their Land, Naval and Aerial models. The cylindrical train style is something shared by the Blazing Sun’s Naval and Aerial units but left off the muddy ground, and while it fits flyers nicely, making it also seem rugged enough for ground combat is a more difficult challenge. After all, it would be easy to strap wings on to any one of the tanks we already produce, but it would be too easy to picture them breaking off the instant the Myobu came crashing back to the ground. The solution was to make something that looked rugged, to bring the eye to the way the superstructure links down to the axles of the major wheels to look like heavy suspension and continue those lines up into an overarching framework. Curving the edges gives us the hint of the aerial cylinders the Blazing Sun are known for as well as the addition of a pair of Gyrotors to give the Myobu the force it needs to leave the ground. There’s also some handy short-lived rocket engines hidden above the tracks (both at the rear for thrust and the front for slightly more controlled deceleration) .

The Myobu may be one of the smaller medium models we produce, but I had more fun making it than some of our much bigger, more complicated models.

Empire of the Blazing Sun Myobu Class Light Gyro Tank

Empire of the Blazing Sun O-I ‘Miage-Nyudo’ Class Heavy Walker

The O-I Heavy Walker holds a special place in my heart because one of my goals with the Dystopian Wars models has been to convey the motion and scale of these massive mechanical monstrosities as they soar, trundle and stomp over the battlefields of Dystopian Wars. Every time I look at a Blazing Sun four legged walker I see the odd hydraulic waddle it would make as it crosses the field, laughably at odds with the fury of its massive cannons and rocket salvos.

So any opportunity to add to that model is welcome, and a functional addition of an observation tower makes it even more appealing. Imagine the waddling behemoth and its tilting motion as it moves; it made me smile thinking how much worse the experience would be for the poor souls way up at the top.

Empire of the Blazing Sun O-I ‘Miage-Nyudo’ Class Heavy Walker

Covenant of Antarctica Orpheus Class Drone Controller

I think I got a bit carried away with walking crabs and spiders for the Covenant Land models. I admit that, as fun as it was, the screw-propelled drive system on the Socrates Bombard is still one of my favourite touches on the Covenant vehicles as it really captures the pragmatism this Covenant of the world’s great thinkers would take to life on ice and snow. I savoured an opportunity to put more of these devices into practice, and for a largely static control vehicle the Orpheus was the perfect example. It also allows the opportunity to incorporate elements of the Pericles’ superstructure into the model; where on the fleet carrier the massive launch racks also double as the control crew’s antenna array, here it is just the antenna. The rest of the model is fairly boxy when compared to the other Covenant models to emphasise the idea that it’s stocked full of drones ready to launch.

Covenant of Antarctica Orpheus Class Drone Controller

Covenant of Antarctica Skorpios Class Heavy Bombard

Never let it be said that I didn’t enjoy making the Socrates Bombard: the massive spherical weapon mount, the screw driven trolley for an undercarriage
 everything about it screams the right level of ridiculous combined with a menacing purpose. That said, it does stand out from the other Covenant land models, so the most obvious means of differentiating a second bombard in the range was to lean on the side of the biomimicry. As can be plainly seen the main hull is a modification of the Atticus hull but every one of the changes to the core model is made to imply the weight of the massive cannon strapped to the back. The stance has been squared off and the rear legs have been thickened out to bear the force of tremendous recoil, while tiny fore appendages have been added for stability. You can see the abdominal section sagging under the weight of the main weapon while it’s elevation is assisted by an armature at the front of the hull.

Covenant of Antarctica Skorpios Class Heavy Bombard

Republique of France Arbalete Class Medium Land Carrier

Tanks are all fine and dandy, guns being as easy to model as the next detail, but the truly exciting models to make for Dystopian Wars are not necessarily combat vessels, sometimes it’s the strangest contraptions with the oddest purposes that really get my mind working. Like the Covenant of Antarctica Callimachus Orb or the Russian Coalition Vorkuta Drill, the Arbalete is a support vessel for the armies of the Dystopian world so without modelling racks of gun barrels and rocket batteries extra thought has to go into the mechanics of how such a device would work. Our carriers have the benefit of Element 270 enhanced aircraft, materials and mechanisms to justify their relatively short decks, but fitting a launch onto a medium vessel? It was a challenge, one made worse by the fact that I didn’t want to just copy the Covenant’s drone launch racks for the Republique of France, which really cut down my options.

In our world when flight decks shorten we made use of the Steam catapult, so I threw one of those in. Not enough? How about a massive ballista style catapult to assist the steam variant? If that’s not enough then mounting the deck on a pivot so it can launch fighters at a high angle would have to do it. It’s a good job implausible isn’t a word we use around here!

After that addition the model is fairly straight forward, but the necessity to justify the role on the battlefield was important enough that the rear part of the deck features a deployable ramp for lifting new fighters onto the precarious deck to be launched in sequence. Most of the concept sketches are dedicated to the exact motions with which this ramp works
 I do get bogged down on details like that.

In order to incorporate this feature everything else from the driving compartment to the smoke stacks were moved to the front of the model, but in the end I think both the shape and the mechanism work phenomenally at conveying this mad device’s role on the battlefield.

Republique of France Arbalete Class Medium Land Carrier

Russian Coalition Orlov Class Heavy Tank

For this set of releases we had a lot of fun playing around with size classes, nudging the definition of medium class land model to its upper and lower limits. The Orlov just might be the biggest medium class model out there now as when I made it I pushed its hull out as far as it would go, still fitting on our medium tank bases. On that little acrylic rectangle we have more interleaved armoured wheels than any other Russian medium, two massive central compartments with their menacing front grills and two enormous naval turrets (the landship only has one). There’s not much more than can be said for the Orlov; every little piece of malevolence in the Russian aesthetic and the most ominous features from the land range have been shoved into one model that is equal parts slab steel tonnage to bristling weapon barrels. I think even the more monstrous mediums on the Dystopian battlefield might think twice about their chances when they see this rolling over the horizon, but what else would they expect from the Russian Coalition? They do already have the Kursk Land Dreadnought after all

Russian Coalition Orlov Class Heavy Tank

All of these deadly armoured models are compatible with Dystopian Wars and Armoured Clash and are available to buy now from the Spartan Games Online Store.
> I like Tabletoppers with a stiff upper lip but not a broom up their arse!

> Dublin Mud is a mix of Baily\'s and Guiness... and should not be used to paint ships!

AndréM

• BĂŒrger
Dystopean Wars
« Antwort #211 am: 16. April 2013 - 12:39:16 »

Chinese

Australians

Beide Fraktionen optisch nicht mein Fall, sollte ich irgendwann eine weitere Fraktion anfangen wollen, dan wird es wohl eher die Italiener treffen.

Da sind die Flotilla-Packs schon interessanter, wenn man die entsprechenden Schiffe noch nicht hat:

> Dublin Mud is a mix of Baily\'s and Guiness... and should not be used to paint ships!

Trokar

• Schuster
  • BeitrĂ€ge: 355
Dystopean Wars
« Antwort #212 am: 17. April 2013 - 12:26:57 »

Die Chinesischen Schiffe sind ja totschick!!

Bin gespannt, was die noch an Nationen rausbringen.
Die Frage ist nur: Wie viele Nationen bzw. Flotten braucht ein Spieler?

Wilhelmshöher

• Bauer
  • BeitrĂ€ge: 779
Dystopean Wars
« Antwort #213 am: 17. April 2013 - 13:04:47 »

Die Chinesen finde ich auch super!
Bei den letzten Veröffentlichungen hatte ich immer den Eindruck, dass denen die Ideen ausgehen, die einzelnen Fraktionen unterschiedlich zu gestalten, aber das gefÀllt mir richtig gut. 8o

Besten Gruß
Moritz
If you\'re not alert, sometime, a German son-of-an-asshole-bitch is going to sneak up behind you and beat you to death with a sock full of shit! - Georgie Patton

AndréM

• BĂŒrger
Dystopean Wars
« Antwort #214 am: 01. Mai 2013 - 13:21:47 »

The Ack-Ack Express

“And here comes the 08.13 Ack-Ack Express, right on time! Let’s see those devils make a strafing run now.”

In the Civil War many trains were repurposed and heavily armed and armoured for military use. Since then the industry has developed apace, culminating in the Columbia Class Land Train – a marvel able to traverse the battlefield without relying on vulnerable railroads.

The true advantage of the Columbia is its exceptional versatility. A simple carriage swap can change the train from flak defence to troop transport – allowing a Commander to bring the tools they need for the task at hand.

Federated States of America Columbia Class Land Train

A Columbia Land Train can perform fire support at short or long range with its Gun Carriages or Rocket Batteries. A full complement of Gun Carriages can even put holes in a Land Ship at short ranges, while the Rocket Batteries can offer punishing suppressing fire.

Likewise, a Columbia can defend the lines from aerial assault with Flak Carriages if held close to vulnerable vehicles or even hunt down aircraft using powerful Ack Ack batteries with Telescopic Zoom. In turn the Support Carriages assist nearby Infantry and increase the Commander’s tactical options through their Radio Network.

A common tactic of FSA Commanders is to swiftly deliver Infantry to the thick of the fighting in Personnel Carriages, without needing to expend their limited Fatigue or come under enemy fire.

Finally, if all else fails, a string of powerful Bombard Carriages can pound the foe to dust whilst safely hidden within the American lines.

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/wp/wp/wp-content/spartanimg/dw-fsa-columbia-land-train-stats-document.pdf

Designing the Italians

When I was given the chance to design the Italian aesthetic I knew I wanted to throw in a few stereotypes to help make them a nation that would really stand out. Like all that is iconic in Italian design, whether it be supercars, sports boats, apparel or other fashionable invention, my overall goal was a nation of elegance and beauty delivered through detail and craftsmanship. Of course, reliability, ruggedness and, ultimately, practicality was also considered. And let’s not forget
.deadly on the gaming table!

The Battleship was used to set the scene for the overall Italian aesthetic. Once I had completed it the look of the other vessels fell quickly into place.

This approach is exemplified by the smoke stack arrangement. I wanted so desperately from the beginning of the design process to have at least a triple stack at the front to give the vessels a fast and furious hot-rod appearance. At the same time I also wanted them to be tall and narrow to help convey a sense of elegance and posture. Most vessels sport a thin, stiletto-like conning tower and bridge. As such, sat high above the deck, the ship’s main crew can survey the surrounding Mediterranean waters with a distinct advantage.

Towards the end of the design stage the Carrier had become quite the menace, especially with the addition of Torpedo Assault Craft. Packing almost as much punch as a Battleship, I’m confident it will be the pride of every players fleet.

Of course we all realise that having the triple smoke stacks mounted in front of the bridge will lead to smoke being blown straight in their faces! Still, instead of compromising my vision, I installed an elaborate extraction system to channel the smoke around the hull of the vessel and out of a make-shift exhaust port towards the rear. The more elaborate the contraption the better in my opinion!

The Italians were also the perfect nation to boast an over-abundance of ornate decoration. Dystopian Wars gets its distinctly unique industrial look from a strict manufacturing mind-set. A production line of thousands upon thousands of units would waste no time on ornate craftsmanship, other than what can be welded or riveted on as a plaque or plate. I thought that the Italians were a bit more deserving of some traditional flavour, however, and abstracted some ornamental elements into the hull design.

The Cruisers and Frigates are less elaborate than their ‘older siblings’ but still leave their own unique impression. The Frigate brings depth-charges to the war arena whilst the cruiser sports a nice balance of armaments.

Dystopian Wars is also noted for its recognition of architecture throughout each nation’s various monolithic war-machines. Italy has an incredibly rich history of architecture and design. After some study I attempted not to fall into the trap of going too Renaissance or Venetian-Gothic and chose Palladian with Corinthian swirls and columns as it seemed more historically accurate.

The Destroyer sacrifices a traditional bridge, instead using prisms and periscopes to navigate, thus removing obvious weak-points for the enemy to target.

We intended to give the Italians an abundance of torpedoes from the beginning, so all of the naval units have gigantic mechanical magazines on deck that feed the ordinance downward into their launchers at a 90 degree angle. Rather than launch underwater I preferred the idea of them coming out at a higher point and hitting the surface of the water.

The Bomber is loosely inspired by the Caproni CA aircraft. I added various other elements to give it a ‘seaplane feel.’

The stacked gun turrets also provided a bit of flavour that we had not tried in Dystopian Wars before, allowing the big guns to shoot at more menacing targets whilst the smaller top turret could independently pick off lesser threats. The cranes help to give a slightly more industrial feel to the larger ships. The battleship has one to load ordinance and supplies from the shore whilst the carrier uses it primarily to winch the fighters up onto the deck.

Continuing the tri-plane theme the Fighters were based on a fantastic single-seat plane concept I found whilst conducting my initial research. Making the wings cast whilst maintaining the triple wing look was tricky but I think I got the balance just right.

Constable

• BĂŒrger
  • BeitrĂ€ge: 1.439
Dystopean Wars
« Antwort #215 am: 12. Mai 2013 - 15:40:47 »

So liebe Leute, es ist wieder einmal was gegangen. EIn Dystopian Wars Spiel mit Andi, der hat mittlerweile seine Franzosen bemalt. Hat wirklich Spaß gemacht, weil es ist einfach was komplett anderes. Die Franzosen waren auch extrem schick bemalt! Immer noch gefĂ€llt mir diese Kombinationsvielfalt bei den Einheiten wo man doch trotz \"steampunk\" recht realistisch Sachen kombinieren kann (ich rede gerade von Fliegern, Schiffen, U-Booten...). Was es sicher nie sein wird ist ein Spiel fĂŒr Zwischendurch, bei besserer Regelkenntnis wird man sich auf eine SPiellĂ€nge a la Flames of War einpendeln aber weniger wird kaum gehen.
Wer interessiert ist schaut bei meinem Blog vorbei!! Bitte beachten, wegen anfÀnglicher Probleme beim Hochladen der Bilder sind es zwei Artikel!! Einer mit Text und einem Bild (lol) und einer nur mit Bildern!!
have fun! Bei Fragen einfach her damit!
http://tabletopwerkstatt.blogspot.co.at/

cheers
tom

AndréM

• BĂŒrger
Dystopean Wars
« Antwort #216 am: 18. Juni 2013 - 12:30:12 »

Neues fĂŒr Dystopian Wars

The Ottoman Empire just got BIGGER!

So you’ve got the Ottoman Empire Naval Battle Group and Support Group are you are now wondering what to get next? How about a fully amphibious Mobile Airfield that just happens to be one of the biggest, and most extravagant models, ever released for Dystopian Wars?

The perfect centrepiece for any Ottoman Empire force, this Hisar Class Mobile Airfield is a giant walking city, armed with gigantic bombards, formidable turrets and a double airfield for launching dogged tiny flyers. Take advantage of the powerful ‘Firtina Generator’ which allows this monstrosity to not only cloak itself in storm clouds to impair enemy fire, but also create storms that can control line of sight.

The Hisar is a pre-cursor to the upcoming Ottoman Empire ground forces, but by being able to operate on land or sea makes this model brutal in whichever theatre of war you elect to game Dystopian Wars.

Ottoman Empire Hisar Class Mobile Airfield

New Dystopian Wars Boxed Sets

We recently introduced a new and exciting way for you to build your Dystopian Wars forces. For each nation we will be consolidating a number of existing upgrade blisters into new themed Battle Sets. Designed to make it even easier for you to complete your collection and give your LGS an opportunity to stock even more of our range at any one time.

This new initiative continues with the powerful Federated States of America and mysterious Covenant of Antarctica, with more nations to follow in the coming months.

Federated States of America Aerial Battle Group

Covenant of Antarctica Hunter Flotilla

The following Dystopian Wars Battle Sets are now available to pre-order from the Spartan Games Online Store. Click the links to learn more:

Federated States of America Battle Flotilla
Federated States of America Armoured Assault Group
Federated States of America Support Flotilla
Federated States of America Aerial Battle Group
Federated States of America Aerial Robot Group
Federated States of America Ground Fortifications
Covenant of Antarctica Battle Flotilla
Covenant of Antarctica Hunter Flotilla
Covenant of Antarctica Support Flotilla
Covenant of Antarctica Armoured Support Group
Covenant of Antarctica Aerial Battle Group
Covenant of Antarctica Armoured Walker Group
Covenant of Antarctica Ground Fortifications

AndréM

• BĂŒrger
Dystopean Wars
« Antwort #217 am: 28. Juni 2013 - 12:33:31 »

AndréM

• BĂŒrger
Dystopean Wars
« Antwort #218 am: 08. Juli 2013 - 11:33:36 »

Zitat
RUSSIAN COALITION & CORE NATION UPGRADE BOXES

Our attention with Dystopian Wars turned to upgrade boxes for our original core nations, with new products coming for the Kingdom of Britannia, Prussian Empire, Empire of the Blazing Sun and Federated States of America. The goal was to give each a unique feel, with models that work in concert to lend each of the boxes a different gaming style. For example, the KoB box has a strong naval theme, and dives (literally) below the waves with two new Submarines. The FSA box, on the other hand, delivers on the concept of air superiority for this nation, as a massive HQ Airship is joined by a Seaplane and a new Strike Bomber. Check out our web site for more information on these superb new additions to your Dystopian Wars fleets.

The Russian Coalition is one of the more brutal nations in Dystopian Wars, capable of hammering its foes into submission, be it on land, sea or air. As we created its themed boxes we wanted to embrace its military philosophy of hard hitting. To this end we have created boxed sets such as the Naval Battle Flotilla, Armoured Hunter Group, Subterranean Group and Aerial Battle Group. Check out these exciting ways to expand your existing force, or start a new force with which to brutalise the gaming table.

Kingdom of Britannia Vengeance Class Submarine (Above Left) and the Prussian Empire Sturmbringer Class Submarine (Above Right)

Federated States of America New Orleans Class HQ Large Airship (Above Left) and Empire of the Blazing Sun Raijin Class HQ War Gyro (Above Right)

The following Dystopian Wars products are now available to pre-order from the Spartan Games Online Store.

Kingdom of Britannia Wolf Pack Flotilla
Prussian Empire Wolf Pack Flotilla
Federated States Aerial Support Group
Empire of the Blazing Sun Strike Flotilla

Russian Coalition Support Flotilla

Russian Coalition Battle Flotilla
Russian Coalition Armoured Hunter Group
Russian Coalition Support Flotilla
Russian Coalition Subterranean Group
Russian Coalition Aerial Battle Group
Russian Coalition Ground Fortifications

CAMPAIGN BOOK: OPERATION SIROCCO

Early 1872: the World War roars into North and East Africa. The Republique of France prepares to launch its forces across the Mediterranean to capture, and secure, the resource-rich territories of Western New Carthage with the help of its Prussian and Italian allies. But this will not be an easy task; the Kingdom of Britannia has reinforced its garrisons in the region, drawing in divisions from the far corners of the Empire. With the Ottoman Empire having pledged to join the Imperial Bond, the Britannians have sent an expeditionary force northwards into the Red Sea and the Ottoman East African territories.

Our latest Dystopian Wars book details this exciting campaign and delivers nine exciting scenarios that play out key moments of the narrative. This book also sees the first physical print of the exciting Armoured Clash ground combat rules, designed to make battles between vast Brigades of Tanks and Land Ships faster and deadlier. This 192 page book is packed from cover to cover with detailed information about the campaign, maps, scenarios and let’s not forget an entire set of tabletop rules.

Dystopian Wars Campaign Book: Operation Sirocco

The Dystopian Wars Campaign Book: Operation Sirocco is now available to pre-order from the Spartan

AndréM

• BĂŒrger
Dystopean Wars
« Antwort #219 am: 26. Juli 2013 - 12:04:40 »

More Core Nation Upgrade Boxes

After releasing upgrade boxes for the first four core nations, our attention turns to releasing new models for the Covenant of Antarctica, Republique of France and Russian Coalition. The goal was to give each a unique feel, with models that work in concert to lend each of the boxes a different gaming style. For example, the CoA box centres on the incredible Euclid Class Dreadnought which can devastate vast areas of the battlefield with its colossal particle accelerator, rocket batteries and energy cannons. The Russian Coalition box, on the other hand, combines advanced generators and powerful mortars for battlefield control with the sheer brute that is the White Navy\'s staple. Look out for the Khatanga Class Ice Breaker, its mechanical ram is as effective as demolishing ships as it is shattering the thick ice sheets of the White Sea. Finally, the Attack Flotilla enhances the close-range might of the Republique of France with a plethora of Heat Lances. Then, once the enemy\'s hulls have been vaporised, Assault Corvettes close in to finish them off with elite boarding marines.

Covenant of Antarctica Aerial Support Group

Republique of France Attack Flotilla

Russian Coalition Strike Flotilla