Sweetwater Forum

Sweetwater Forum

• 28. März 2024 - 17:32:27
  • Willkommen Gast
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Autor Thema: Bavarian army for the 1809 campaign during the Napoleonic wars  (Gelesen 19380 mal)

themoaw

• Totengräber

Hi, I come from Australia and only speak and write English. I apologise for writing to you in english.

I am trying to build a Bavarian army for the 1809 campaign during the Napoleonic war.
Can someone help me in finding the organisation of the Bavarian army battalions during the 1809 campaign.

So far I have two examples.
1. The army of the elector of Bavaria 1805, ally of France, included ten regiments of line infantry, each containing two battalions of six companies (two of them grenadiers); each company had about one hundred thirty or forty men.
In 1811 the infantry which was reorganised. From then on the line battalions included one company of grenadiers, one of shooters armed with rifled carbines, and four of riflemen; the effective of the companies remained unchanged.

2. The Bavarian army originally consisted of 4 Line infantry companies (no mention of grenadiers) and were reorganised in 1811 based similar to
the French system of 1 company of grenadiers, 1 Light company, and 4 Fusilier companies.

My first question is \"were there grenadier companies in the Line battalions and if so how many grenadier companies were in the battalion\".

My second question is \"did the 7th Light infantry battalion wear a shako or the Raupenhelm\". I have been informed that they did wear a shako but I have also seen pictures on the internet of infantry titled \'7th Leichtes Infanterie\' wearing the Raupenhelm.

I have read books and checked the internet and placed similar questions on wargaming forums but I have not been able to confirm my question.

Chris
email: inggav@internode.on.net

Angrist

• BĂĽrger
Bavarian army for the 1809 campaign during the Napoleonic wars
« Antwort #1 am: 30. November 2008 - 00:28:22 »

first at all
welcome and have a nice time here

it would help if you tell us the sources you looked already (ospreys etc) so nobody wastes time looking there

are there any german sources you already looked at?

I´m no expert in the Napoleonic wars, so i just did a quick search, trying to find german sources,
the only thing i found (whithout reading tons of text)
was this
maybe it helps concerning the question of helmets
http://www.brigade.napoleon-online.de/tafel95.jpg
Registriert euch bei http://www.spielerzentrale.de und sorgt dafür, das jeder Suchende einen historischen TTler in seiner Nähe findet.

AbrĂĽstung mit Frieden zu verwechseln, ist ein schwerer Fehler.
Winston Churchchill

themoaw

• Totengräber
« Antwort #2 am: 30. November 2008 - 01:28:00 »

I have the Osprey MAA book on Bavaria, I have used the Histofig site, Napoleon, His Army site, the Napoleon Series sites, a site call The Bavaria army organisation and a few others I did not record. I have posted on some other forums but this causes more contradictions.
I have tried looking up German military museums with the idea of asking there but had no luck in finding one. I don\'t read German so I have trouble finding German web sites.
I was referred here by Ghibelline from the FUNtainment site.
I was hoping that if I found a German wargaming club or forum that someone from there would be able to assist.

Your link shows the Tyrol Jagers and the 7th Leichtes, so I went back through my resources and found that the Tyrol Jagers were taken up into the 7th. So one question has been cleared.

Bayernkini

• BĂĽrger

Graf.Dominic

• Leinwandweber
« Antwort #4 am: 30. November 2008 - 14:39:37 »

Hi theMoaw,

what system do you play and what miniatures will you use for your army?

Organization for the Bavarian Army 1809:

Regiments consist of two battalions per regiment,one grenadier company, four fusilier companies per batallion. One fusilier company served as depot. Company strength was 180 men.

Light Infantry battalion consists of 5 companies, each 180 men. The fifth company served as depot or reserve company.

The 7th light Batallion was the only light batallion without the raupenhelm. The wore a black shako with a blue and white bavarian cockade.

I can provide further information on this subject if needed.

Kind regards,

Dominic
« Letzte Ă„nderung: 01. Januar 1970 - 01:00:00 von 1228053155 »

themoaw

• Totengräber
« Antwort #5 am: 01. Dezember 2008 - 10:01:23 »

Thanks all for the info.

I am following a set of rules that are currently being written which are based on the Flames of War WWII rules.
http://forumnapofow.free.fr/index.php?sid=ae1b47badc31fdb1cef36d908cbde34d

The units are battalion size with anything from 1 company to 6 companies making up the battalion. Using 2 Flames of War medium bases to make a company. The battalion also has attachments which can be light infantry and/or grenadiers companies. For example a French battalion would be made up of 1-4 Fusilier companies with the option of 1 grenadier company and/or 1 voltigeur company attachments.

I have decided to build 2 Bavarian brigades with 3 Line battalions of 3 companies per battalion and a grenadier company as an attachment making up the remainder of the battalion and a light battalion of 2-3 companies supported by 2 cavalry units and 3 -4 artillery batteries.
« Letzte Ă„nderung: 01. Januar 1970 - 01:00:00 von 1228123405 »

Frank Becker

• BĂĽrger
« Antwort #6 am: 01. Dezember 2008 - 11:37:27 »

[font=\'Arial]Here is a link that directs you to an article about the Bavarian army of 1805 – 1815:[/font][font=\'Arial] [/font][font=\'Arial]http://www.napoleonicassociation.org/research/articles/The%20Army%20of%20Bavaria%201805-15.pdf[/font][font=\'Times New Roman] [/font]

Graf.Dominic

• Leinwandweber
« Antwort #7 am: 01. Dezember 2008 - 13:44:59 »

Great article, especially on the uniforms!

But it contains a few inaccuracies on the batallion organization.

As i wrote above, a Line Batallion had five companies. One Grenadier, Four Fusilier Batallions.(One fusilier served as depot, giving a batallion in the field 4 companies) Each Company contained 20 SchĂĽtzen who where supposed to be armed with \"Stutzen\" (Rifles).

In March 1809 this organization was slightly changed. The number of SchĂĽtzen was increased up to one fifth of every company, wich resulted in 36 SchĂĽtzen per company. (Of whom only 7 were armed with rifles.)

The existance of a seperate SchĂĽtzen Company is unknown to me. But 36 x 5 SchĂĽtzen gives us 180 schĂĽtzen for a batallion, which if you like, is the strength of a company.

Kind regards,

Dominic
« Letzte Ă„nderung: 01. Januar 1970 - 01:00:00 von 1228139809 »