Sweetwater Forum

Sweetwater Forum

• 29. April 2024 - 11:57:11
  • Willkommen Gast
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Autor Thema: The Great Wargaming Survey - some results  (Gelesen 2327 mal)

WSS_Jasper

• Kaufmannstochter
The Great Wargaming Survey - some results
« am: 11. August 2014 - 15:54:44 »

It’ll be some time yet till we have recovered from the avalanche (well, it felt that way) of responses to the Great Wargaming Survey, but it’s easy enough to glean some information from selected questions. Moreover, there is obviously a lot of interest in the results and we didn\'t want to keep them from you. So, here\'s start!

moiterei_1984

• BĂĽrger
« Antwort #1 am: 11. August 2014 - 16:26:16 »

Thanks for letting us now about the first results. It already sounds quite interesting and I\'m looking forward to see the whole picture.

Eversor

• Fischersmann
« Antwort #2 am: 11. August 2014 - 19:49:27 »

Thanks. It really sounds interesting.

Paul III

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: 11. August 2014 - 20:41:32 »

Very interesthing results, a lot of thanks to you.

WSS_Jasper

• Kaufmannstochter
« Antwort #4 am: 11. August 2014 - 21:25:01 »

At least in part it\'s all thanks to you guys as well. Now to figure out why we Continental European wargamers seem to be younger on average. I figure it may be due to the fact that anything \'war\' was taboo on the continent for much longer than elsewhere. Or are there other reasons?

moiterei_1984

• BĂĽrger
« Antwort #5 am: 11. August 2014 - 21:59:06 »

Maybe it\'s just them beeing more into Fantasy/ SciFi gaming and therefore not taking part in a survey by a historical wargaming mag?

WSS_Jasper

• Kaufmannstochter
« Antwort #6 am: 12. August 2014 - 07:48:34 »

You mean younger North Americans did not take part, and, on average, Europeans are into historicals at a younger age? Could be.

raif

• Fischersmann
« Antwort #7 am: 12. August 2014 - 08:55:42 »

I guess the hobby tabletop is a younger in continental europe. And so the people are younger, because they play it not so long, are in the average younger than our uk and is friends. It would be interesting how it is in the fantasy and scifi tabletop scene. In continental europe i guess most of us historical players have their roots in fantasy or scifi tabletop like games workshop and come later to the historic part of our hobby. Perhaps in us and uk there it is different?

Drake Corbett

• Fischersmann
« Antwort #8 am: 12. August 2014 - 09:20:25 »

I think Wargaming was not so widespred as it was in UK in the 90s (and before). There were a couple of shops who sold Battletechstuff but that was the end of the line.
The Internet helped a lot to get contact to all those 1-man-shops in UK and beyond. Today it is no problem to buy a Waffenkammertank. 15 years earlier i didn´t knew that they even existed ;)
Projekte 2018:
Bolt Action Battletech ausbauen
Sturmovik your Six!: BigWeek Kampagne/Wings of Gold Kampagne
Impetus/WAB Teutonen endlich fertig malen

Zu wenig Zeit fĂĽr zuviel Hobby :D

WSS_Jasper

• Kaufmannstochter
« Antwort #9 am: 12. August 2014 - 10:27:29 »

Probably true. Interestingly, the fourth influence on how people got into the hobby is hobby-stores, which is just a little more important in Continental Europe (24.9%) than overall (23.2%).

Decebalus

• BĂĽrger
« Antwort #10 am: 12. August 2014 - 12:23:03 »

I think raif and Drake are correct. Wargaming is a newer hobby on the continent, so the players are younger. Simplified: the british player started with WRG, the continental player started with WHFB. Thats the big difference. There are consequences. Continental players are usually more happy with Nottingham rules, because the mechanics are known to them.

WSS_Jasper

• Kaufmannstochter
« Antwort #11 am: 12. August 2014 - 16:08:02 »

It\'s a growth market, hurray!  :D

Darkfire

• BĂĽrger
« Antwort #13 am: 19. August 2014 - 17:33:24 »

As a \"Cenrtral European Wargamer\" over the magical age of 50  ;( , I think it is a turn in the hobby area. As I began gaming (mid 80ties), there was a certain \"hipe\" with Warhammer, 40k and Battletech. I got only 4 people in Munich , who are interested in historical gaming.
As we had two game stores in the city which offer a hugh amount of GW and other fantasy/sf miniatures, we had only one store (very short) which offers historical minatures-mostly 54 mm.

I had to purchase all minis by mail. Not long after our first steps (direction Waterloo), all of the other players vanished and I turned to BT and RPG. For most of my friends, I was a \"nerd\" or \"freak\" gaming with miniatures. The playing soccer, collecting stamps, and so on...thats are really \"norma\"l hobbies.

Since then fantasy is more common, and the GW games have a lot of fans. Very few people collecting stamps today, they doing LARP, RPG and tabletop. And after a few years, they looking for some new...historical wargaming. Today, someone who ist interested in Fantasy is no \"nerd\".

But, this is much true, we have no long traditon of gaming in Germany....most people thik it is childish.
Projekte 2021/22
Maurice: Schlacht bei Höchstädt, Kampf um Lutzingen 28mm

KurfĂĽrstlich bayerische Armee Ari 100% Inf 20%, Kav 10%

Kampangne Maurice 15mm

Katalanische Armee:Ari 100% Inf 70% Kav 50%

Judge Dredd: Judge Department 60%

WSS_Jasper

• Kaufmannstochter