Sweetwater Forum

Sweetwater Forum

• 04. Mai 2024 - 21:54:23
  • Willkommen Gast
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Autor Thema: Osprey Ancient Assyrians  (Gelesen 2786 mal)

Axebreaker

• Bürger
Osprey Ancient Assyrians
« am: 21. September 2009 - 13:23:01 »

The text is well written,but the illustrations are absolutely fantastic and are the best on this subject that I\'ve seen to date.I\'m a huge fan of Angus McBride\'s illustrations,but even here he exceeded his normal very high standard into what can only be viewed as some of his finest work.To say this book is worth the cost is an understatement.Anyone interested in this period should have a copy in their personal collection. :thumbsup:

hallostephan

• Gast
Osprey Ancient Assyrians
« Antwort #1 am: 21. September 2009 - 15:45:09 »

oder eine Armee in der Schublade :roflmao:

Axebreaker

• Bürger
Osprey Ancient Assyrians
« Antwort #2 am: 21. September 2009 - 15:53:47 »

I\'m not sure what your point is,could you please explain.I understand the translation,but not the joke. :S

If you mean it would be nice to own  an Assyrian army and have it already in a drawer,then yes I agree.I would dearly love to have a Foundry Assyrian army some day. :thumbsup:

hallostephan

• Gast
Osprey Ancient Assyrians
« Antwort #3 am: 21. September 2009 - 18:52:37 »

exactly! I can look at my own Assyrians in my Schublade -ok, the orsprey is good too :love:

Axebreaker

• Bürger
Osprey Ancient Assyrians
« Antwort #4 am: 21. September 2009 - 20:10:28 »

Ahh,I understand you completely now.I was close with my guess. :) Well,your one step ahead of me as I don\'t own one yet,but I will have a Foundry one someday. :D

Garfield667

• Schuster
Osprey Ancient Assyrians
« Antwort #5 am: 21. September 2009 - 21:46:23 »

Ospreys Assyrians Book is often criticized for being inaccurate, in text and pictures alike. I however, can only share your opinion Axebreaker. Great pics by the (propably) worlds best military illustrator and interesting texts. My favourite Osprey volume!

Until Assyrians will be made in plastic however, my army will be only in 20mm scale. Hmm... 28mm plastic Assyrians... Maybe Immortal will do them one day!

Axebreaker

• Bürger
Osprey Ancient Assyrians
« Antwort #6 am: 21. September 2009 - 22:11:39 »

Zitat
Ospreys Assyrians Book is often criticized for being inaccurate, in text and pictures alike.

In regards to Angus McBride\'s inaccuracies I\'ve found it be most of the time to be minor and rather nit picking.When your at the top of the heap,somebody always wants to take you down a peg or two.

Zitat
I however, can only share your opinion Axebreaker. Great pics by the (propably) worlds best military illustrator and interesting texts

Indeed,I agree with you in that I believe Angus McBride joined by Don Troiani to be the worlds best modern illustrators with sadly only Troiani still with us.I\'m an avid collector of both illustrator\'s work.
If your not familiar with Don Troiani,then let me introduce to a modern master at:
http://www.historicalimagebank.com/gallery2/main.php

Zitat
My favourite Osprey volume!

Yes,it would be quite a challenge to find it\'s equal.Perhaps his  Normans could give it a run for it\'s money.

Zitat
Until Assyrians will be made in plastic however, my army will be only in 20mm scale. Hmm... 28mm plastic Assyrians... Maybe Immortal will do them one day!

Unless the Perry\'s decide to do the  Assyrians on their personal company,then it has to be the absolutely stunning Foundry range for me.

Mehrunes

• Bürger
Osprey Ancient Assyrians
« Antwort #7 am: 22. September 2009 - 00:51:58 »

Funny, Angus McBride is probably the one illustrator in Osprey books I absolutely like the least.

I never really liked his illustrations of TCG cards and especially I don\'t like the broad features he gives his figures.

The Troiani pics are great, I don\'t know if you actually can compare illustrators and \"real\" painters? I recently watched some pics like this in the web, sadly I can\'t recall the name of the artist.
Something with \"M\" it was...
Made some great 7th cavalry pics.

Axebreaker

• Bürger
Osprey Ancient Assyrians
« Antwort #8 am: 22. September 2009 - 01:35:08 »

Zitat
Funny, Angus McBride is probably the one illustrator in Osprey books I absolutely like the least.

I can only scratch my head,but everyone is entitled to their own tastes.

Zitat
I never really liked his illustrations of TCG cards and especially I don\'t like the broad features he gives his figures

I can only say that I do and I like his dynamism in his pictures and how he does the form.For myself he clearly is the best Osprey  had and probably the most popular.Again,all I can say is it\'s a matter of taste.I wouldn\'t be surprised if our taste in miniatures is different. ;) Just out of curiosity,what type of miniatures do favor?

Zitat
The Troiani pics are great, I don\'t know if you actually can compare illustrators and \"real\" painters? I recently watched some pics like this in the web, sadly I can\'t recall the name of the artist.
Something with \"M\" it was...
Made some great 7th cavalry pics.

Well,yes I understand your point and recognize the difference.I was more referring to popular artists that we as wargamers use as references and for the sake of simplicity I grouped them together under Illustrator.However,as a note Don  Troiani  is also known for organizing and allowing his works to be used as a form of illustration in books.He is first and foremost a painter,but he has assumed the role of illustrator when it suites him.I think this duel capability is more common then in the past and is influenced by the expanded role wargamers have now in the military painting circles.
« Letzte Änderung: 01. Januar 1970 - 01:00:00 von 1253578134 »

hallostephan

• Gast
Osprey Ancient Assyrians
« Antwort #9 am: 22. September 2009 - 16:25:46 »

ok, next time, I let my jokes  home-take the Foundrys, they are good! I have some from Amazonminiatures and others-not so good :tot:  in the Wargamers magazine 06.09 was A great story of An Assyryan Attack-but the pictures are not the best.
Und das wars mal wieder \"englisch rudimentär  :thumbup:  ach wollt ich nicht die Witze lassen? Ach nöööööö

Axebreaker

• Bürger
Osprey Ancient Assyrians
« Antwort #10 am: 22. September 2009 - 22:46:12 »

Jokes are fine and I like a sense of humor,it\'s just I didn\'t completely understand.So,please keep the humor invoved if you wish. :)